Join our journey from noob runners/cyclists to DeathRacers
and cyclists who have completed the Ride to Conquer Cancer.

Monday, January 4, 2010

Analysis of an injury in the making

Am sitting at the crossroads, watching an injury form. I suppose there could be worse times for this to happen, oh let's say a few days before a race, but still am frustrated. Just started my half marathon training and am not keen on a minor sideline.


My new friend is a mouthful, metatarsalgia. Which for the billions of us who are not doctors, is pain in the balls of your feet, usually in the middle. Yay, I'm average! :D


There is no pain yet, however I am quite acutely aware of this area on my left foot for quite some time after a run. I'm still having it from my run 2 days ago, which got agitated I guess by the fast walk (I can't call that a run) yesterday. This metatarsalgia started developing around the beginning of last month, so now I am trying to figure out how to deal with my new injury friend and not piss it off so that I am incapable of running. The first answer I come up with is that I want a gait analysis. All good and well, since that was on my list of things to do anyways. It's booked. For January 26th. Gah!


So... what do I do until then? Looks like I can pick up some specialty gel products that will cushion my feeties. My shoes are still fairly new, only about 350-400km on them but perhaps I should look at new ones. No running on consecutive days for now. I also considered my running snow tires, but I still got the pain after a treadmill run so I think I can rule that one out. In any case, if these ideas end up being a giant fail bomb, I am not sure what direction to go while I wait for the magic of gait analysis. I don't want to stop running - I have many kilometres to add to my repertoire and... I kind of slacked a little over the holidays.


Such a pain! Ok, not yet but still... I don't want to be the sidelined one when my teammates are burning miles under their feet! Does that sound whiny? Because it sure does to me! :P Time to suck it up and find my new gel friends.


~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment